- This event has passed.
Kona PUC Public Hearing Date: Proposed Young Brothers Livestock Rate Increase
January 27, 2020 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
UPDATE: Jan. 24, 2020 by Hawaii Sheep and Goat Association:
Further Information/Clarification On Young Brothers’ Rate Increase Request and Proposed Changes to Inter Island Livestock Shipping Changes
If there is ever a critical time for us to make our voice heard and our opinions known, this is it. Please participate and help us protect Hawai’s livestock industry and ensure the sustainability and food security of our people by opposing these detrimental proposals and requests.
Please let us know if you have any questions, need help accessing any of the links provided below or filling out any forms.
The HSGA Team
- Rate Increase Request
The across the board rate increase requested by Young Brothers Docket No 2019-0117 has to go before the Public as YB is a Public Utilities Company governed by all their rules and regulations. The PUC must hold public hearings and take comments and testimony from the public. As a reminder, the hearing dates for the Big Island are:
Monday, January 27, 2020, 6:00 p.m.
West Hawaii Civic Center
Council Building A / County Council Chambers
74-5044 Ana Keohokalole Highway
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii 96740
Tuesday, January 28, 2020, 5:30 p.m.
101 Pauahi Street, Suite 1
Hilo, Hawaii 96720
Please make every effort to attend one of these public hearings and voice your opposition to this request which greatly impacts our industry. If you are not able to attend, you can go directly to PUC website listed below and submit an opposition form. Please use the listed docket number below.
- Proposed Inter Island Livestock Shipment Changes
Young Brothers’ Shipping Change proposals are not a part of the rate increase request and do not have to go before the PUC for the public to be part of the public input process.
- NO livestock transfers on Young Brothers pier facilities
- Livestock shipments only accepted in 20′ & 40′ containers and trailers
- No boxstalls, sheep or goat crates/boxes or cattle pens
- Shipping devices to be CERTIFIED
Our only recourse is to file an informal complaint to the PUC on the detrimental effects these proposals will have on our industry if the proposed changes are accepted.
Young Brothers has had meetings with the Hawai’i Cattle Council and their representatives but have failed to include other livestock industry stakeholders, such as horses, goats, sheep, alpacas, llamas, pigs and non slaughter cattle, which are shipped by Young Brothers at a 33% greater rate than slaughter cattle.
Please file your INFORMAL complaint as it must be Investigated BEFORE the PUC makes a judgement or acceptance of Young Brothers’ rate increase request. If the PUC does not deem any of these complaints viable, you then have the right to follow up with a FORMAL complaint which will again generate more investigation into Young Brothers’ inter island shipping monopolies, crippling our livestock industry.
- Print the form https://puc.hawaii.gov/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Informal-Complaint.Form_.Fillable.pdf and mail to the PUC. As we are in a time crunch and e filing takes a few days to be processed, it is recommended that you mail your informal complaint form and any attachments to the PUC at the address listed below. This must be filed before the last scheduled public hearing date of 1/28/2020. The more complaints filed the better chance we have of keeping Young Brothers from having these devastating proposals implemented.
State of Hawaii
Public Utilities Commission
465 South King Street, Room 103
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
- To file online you will have to register for an account and receive an email to activate your account before being able to fill out your informal complaint form.
- Down load: https://puc.hawaii.gov/filing/complaint/informal-complaints/
2. Click on: filing and forms
3. Click on: filing complaint
4. Download: INFORMAL COMPLAINT FORM
5. Fill out form: You may also attach any supporting documents to support your complaint
- PUC Status Conference on Young Brothers’ Proposed Changes to Livestock Shipping
The Hawaii Public Utilities Commission will be holding a status conference regarding the “Proposed Changes to Livestock Procedures” on Tuesday, February 4, 2020 from 1:00pm – 3:00pm at the PUC office, 465 South King St., #103, Hearing room in downtown Honolulu. You can find the public notice here: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1/?tab=wm&ogbl#inbox/FMfcgxwGCtMQFFzdlBbvnmhhSQgSwKlb?projector=1&messagePartId=0.1
Young Brothers will be making a presentation to the Commission and the public regarding the proposed changes to livestock shipping procedures. Afterwards, the Commission, the Consumer Advocate, and other interested stakeholders will have the opportunity to ask questions and provide comments. Interested stakeholders need to contact Amanda Hustrulid at firstname.lastname@example.org and RSVP indicating (1) if you will be attending the status conference (a) in-person or (b) remotely, by phone or online, and (2) if you intend to ask questions or provide comments, following Young Brothers’ presentation. Please provide and RSVP by 12:00pm on Friday, January 31, 2020. The Commission will try to accommodate as many questions and comments as possible within the time provided.
Here are the phone number and access code for the ones who will be participating in the conference remotely:
Skype access number: (808) 829-4853
Access code: 890915131#
Please pass this along to your other livestock shipping contacts and ensure that they RSVP by January 31st. This meeting should be used to clarify proposed shipping guidelines, and also give real examples of how this will affect your shipping. It would be more impactful to provide hard facts rather than just oppose.